Photo

Video Lesson 9-8 Expert Skills (Excel 2013)

1 reply to this topic

#1 gotogirl

gotogirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

By following the video lesson my values in data table for interest rates 5% and 6% were the same as screen shot, but values across for 7%, 8% and 9% appeared incorrect.  I was beginning to pull out my hair trying to figure were I had gone wrong.  I finally looked in my textbook and found values were same as what I was seeing on my screen.  Can you explain the discrepancy?

sfrank

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hi Sue

The reason for the discrepancy seems is the Excel quirk referred to in the sidebar (in both the printed and e-book book) and at point 03:08 in the video.

If you look closely at the video, I show the "wrong way" first (and then explain why this won't work).  When I replace the incorrect formula you can see that I make an error and don't actually paste it into the formula bar so the formula remains at: =D28 instead of the correct formula stated  in the video and also in the text book/e- book that is =(C28*0.5+1.5)/100.

This has had exactly the effect described and placed incorrect values into the table.

I must commend you on spotting this.  The video has been viewed over a million times and you are the first to notice my mistake.

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users