Photo

Moving series up in chart table (complex stack bar, side bar + line series)

EXCEL CHART TABLE KEY SERIES MOVE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bennyb

bennyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:21 AM

For the excel file attached, I want to adjust the chart table (table that is part of the chart) so that the series "GOAL CAR" is moved up in the table until it is just below "CAR GREEN".

I know that usually this is just a matter of opening the "SELECT DATA..." from the right pop-up menu that appears when right mouse clicking the end of the chart.  Then, in the Legend Entries (series) list, select the series "GOAL CAR" and use the ^ v buttons to move up/down to the desired position.

However, this does not seem to be working.

The chart/table is somewhat complex, because there are some series that are type "stack column", "clustered column" & "line".

When I make all the series the same type, say "stack column" then moving the series up works just fine.  But as soon as I update an individual series chart type to either "line" or "clustered column" (not all series the same type), excel automatically bumps it to the bottom where I don't want it.

I am working with Win7/Office2010/Excel2010, but have also tried Office2013/Excel2013 with same results.

Any idea how to move the series "GOAL CAR" up in the table, while keeping it a series type of "line" and the other series in the same order while keeping in there existing series plot type, as shown in the attachment?

Attached Files

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hi bennyb,

The reason this is happening is because you have a Combination Chart, containing both Clustered Column and Line chart types.

When you have a chart like this, Excel always lists the Clustered Column series before the Line series in the chart's data table.

The only obvious solution I can think of is to remove the data table from your chart and place it above the data on the worksheet, presenting it however you like.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EXCEL, CHART, TABLE KEY, SERIES MOVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users