• 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

Need to solve:

i. I have data in worksheet1; say sheet1, cell C26

ii. I want to copy the above data in another worksheet 2, say sheet2 in cell D8

iii. thus i go to cell D8 in sheet2 and type sign =

iv. then i go to cell C26 in sheet1 and click on it

v. then i go to cell D8 in sheet2,

and here is the problem when i click on the cell: in the formula bar always appears twice the referred to cell, like this:

=sheet1!C26+sheet2!C26

PLEASE ADVISE ME ON HOW TO CORRECT THIS DOUBLE REFERENCE.

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

Hi ARSG,

I wasn't able to recreate this exact problem, but I think I can see what is causing it.

Until you press the <Enter> key, Excel remains in 'editing mode'. If it's still in 'editing mode' when you switch worksheets, it automatically changes the cell reference that's being edited to the sheet that you click.

The solution is to press the <Enter> key after step iv. You'll then be returned to sheet2 with the correct formula entered and no duplication.

If you need to do something else with the value (such as add, subtract, multiply, etc.), you just need to type the correct operator before switching tabs. As long as you have typed an operator, Excel will know that you are going to enter a new cell reference and won't modify the one you've already entered.

You can see more about cross-worksheet formulas in the video tutorial: Essential Skills Lesson 6-6 Create cross worksheet formulas.

I hope this is the solution to your problem, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 ARSG

ARSG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

I followed, it works pretty well. Thx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users