• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Humaira

Humaira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Although I follow the video and I think I understand the concept of INDIRECT? What does it actually mean? Sorry for a dumb question.

Humaira

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hi Humaira,

The INDIRECT function's purpose is to allow you to tell Excel to treat a piece of text as a reference. For example, in the video lesson Expert Skills Lesson 4-5 Use intersection range names and the INDIRECT function, the INDIRECT function is used to tell Excel to treat the location names in column A as references to range names instead of as ordinary pieces of text.

You can see another example of the INDIRECT function in Expert Skills Lesson 4-8 Create two linked drop-down lists using range names, where it's again used to allow a cell's value to be treated as a reference to a range name instead of as an ordinary piece of text.

If you're still not sure about INDIRECT, I'd suggest retrying the lessons and perhaps experimenting with the example workbooks or with workbooks of your own.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users