Problems with Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) video playback on Samsung device

1 reply to this topic

#1 nukegirl

nukegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

After selecting a course the video only shows captions, no pictures.

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:27 PM

Hi Nukegirl

I’ve looked at your view log and I can see the following:

1/ You were viewing the videos without problems until 2nd June 2016.  The session information suggests that you were using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer vsn 11.

2/ On 2nd June at 06:15 GMT you tried to view lesson 6-6 using three different devices:

• Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 11.
  • A Samsung Sprint SM-G920P smartphone running the new Android 6.01 Operating system.
  • The same Sprint SM-G920P smartphone running the new Android 6.01 Operating system but using the Google Chrome browser.

I’m guessing that you have no continuing difficulty using Windows 7/Internet Explorer 11.   I've just viewed Lesson 6-6 using Windows 7/Internet Explorer 11 and everything worked perfectly for me. 

You are one of the few users in the world currently using Android Version 6 (also called the Marshmallow release).    Google suggest that only 7.5% of Android users (for all makes of smartphone) had upgraded to this version (as of 5th June 2016).  This is the first major upgrade to Android since the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) release in October 2014.

I’ve just played Lesson 6-6 using the Chrome browser with Android 6 (but not on a Samsung SM-G920P) and the video played perfectly both with and without subtitles.  This suggests that the bug isn’t inherent to Android 6 but is caused by the implementation of Android 6 (by Samsung) on the SM-G920P Smartphone. 

Users have reported many problems using Marshmallow 6 on Samsung devices.  If you search for Samsung Android 6.0.1 bugs you’ll find over half a million results at Google, some of which suggest ways in which it may be possible to work around the bugs.

You can find out about why Android devices suffer from more bugs than other operating systems (and how we support Android) here:

I cannot view the videos on my Android device (such as a Google Nexus or Samsung Galaxy Tab

If none of the fixes suggested in this article work for you it is possible that the Sprint SM-G920P cannot currently be configured to play our videos correctly but you are likely to find that the fault is mysteriously corrected in the coming weeks when Samsung issue the next bug-fixed version of Android 6.0.1 for your Smartphone.  It has been reported that Samsung have already released several emergency bug-fixes during late May 2016.

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users