Essential Skills Lesson 1-8 "cannot access directory" error message

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Judy Hubbard_*

Guest_Judy Hubbard_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

When I type in \Excel then okay it tells me "cannot access directory" C:\Users\Judy\Documents\Excel  

Judy

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

Hi Judy

You didn't mention whether you were using Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 or 2016 for Mac OS X so I've guessed that you are using Essential Skills 2016 (though the lesson is almost identical in earlier versions).

You can read this lesson (as e-book pages) here:

Lesson 1-8: Pin a workbook and understand file organization (e-book pages)

You can also see a video walkthrough of the same lesson (recorded with Excel 2013) here:

Lesson 1-8: Pin a workbook and understand file organization (video walkthrough).

The first thing to check is that you successfully completed Step 4 (Create an Excel subfolder beneath your Documents folder).  I'm almost certain that this will be the problem.  Make sure that you haven't accidentally placed a leading or training space before or after the word "Excel".

If that isn't the problem then the problem may be related to windows security issues (if the new subfolder has been created with rights that prevent you from accessing it).  This is quite unlikely but if you suspect that this may have happened try deleting the Excel subfolder and then creating it again.  This will probably solve the problem.

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users