• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 funchfr13s

funchfr13s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

First of all I would like to say that your webpage has been invaluable to me. I've never had much use for excel prior to my current job and this site has been nothing short of a blessing. 

I work for a mortgage company, and more specifically I work for a VERY productive Loan Officer who simply cannot keep track of the sheer volume of product she is moving. I was asked to build a spreadsheet that could keep track of the loans. The sheet I built for general tracking is just too complicated, and overwhelming for a quick glance on when a loan is closing, and what is the next course of action available. I was asked to keep the sheet away from Outlook's calendar, but as far as I know it should be relatively easy to add a sheet to the workbook with a calendar included in it.

However, here is where the problems begin to raise their head. I do not have the time, or patience to update both of these sheets everytime a new borrower is added, or circumstances change with a loan. I'd like to update only the original (and currently extant) spreadsheet with loads of details. Then the updated spreadsheet effects the calendar sheet. 

Doe  John 7/23/2016 N/A Joe,  Jane 7/28/2016 To Processing Unknown 7/25/2016 Started

Above is the preferred data, simple and clean, it should work well within a calendar. 

Apologies if this seems difficult to work through, I'm sure it would work but I haven't the faintest idea on how to realize this goal. 

Thank you, 

Luke

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

Hi Luke,

Assuming that you only need one item of data to be displayed for each day on your calendar, you should be able to achieve this quite easily by using the VLOOKUP function along with a table.

If you create your calendar sheet with the dates that you need, you can use VLOOKUP to search for and display the corresponding entries in your data. You can see a video lesson explaining how to use VLOOKUP in: Expert Skills Lesson 3-22 Use a VLOOKUP function for an exact lookup.

You'll probably want to use IFERROR to suppress the error message for days that don't have any items to display. You can see how to do this in the video tutorial: Expert Skills Lesson 3-23 Use an IFERROR function to suppress error messages.

To make things easier to read, you might also want to use conditional formatting to highlight certain dates. You can see how to do this in the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 4-15 Use simple conditional formatting.

It's quite simple and straightforward to create the calendar worksheets manually. You could do this in a more complex way by using Excel's date functions to create an entire year's calendar by offsetting from a start date, but that might be more complicated that necessary for your purposes. You can see how to use Excel's date functions in: Expert Skills Lesson 3-11 Use the Excel DATE function to offset days, months and years.

I have attached an example workbook showing a simple calendar connected to a table of data using VLOOKUP:

Attached File  CalendarVLOOKUP.xlsx   11.11KB   603 downloads

CalendarVLOOKUP.png

Hopefully this is sufficient to your needs, as things get more difficult if you need a calendar that can display multiple entries for each date. It is possible to display several items using some complex formulas, but it might be a better idea to summarize the data in some way if this is required. One common solution is to use pivot tables and slicers to quickly extract data for specific date ranges. You can see an example of this in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 5-10 Use slicers to create a custom timeline.

I hope this is useful information, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help with this.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users