2 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny M

Jenny M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

New project!  My boss would like a citeable notes file.  She was told this could be done nicely using a pivot table (though the example she was given looks like a regular filtered range to me).  Ideally, she would like to be able to click on a key word and see – in a friendly and uncluttered way – all the quotes attached to it.  Or click on a source ID and see the citation, or whatever.

I’ve watched the pivot table videos and don’t know how to do what she wants.  I’m hoping I just missed it (Excel can do everything!).

Attached is an excerpt from what I’ve done so far: just putting the information in a table.  It was felt that the pivot table is ugly.  I guess the problem is visual: filtering necessitates looking at extra junk, and I don’t know how to make a pivot table look nicer.

Thank you!

Attached Files

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

Hi Jenny,

It sounds like a Slicer might be what you're looking for. Slicers provide a more user-friendly way to quickly filter data, so adding a Slicer to your Keywords field might give you what you need.

Slicers can be applied to both pivot tables and ordinary tables, so you may prefer to just add a slicer to your CiteableNotes table.

You can see how to create slicers in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 5-8 Filter a pivot table visually using slicers.

I have also attached a copy of your workbook with slicers applied:

Attached File  citeable notes example.xlsx   27.43KB   77 downloads

citeablenotes.png

I hope this is the solution you were looking for, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help with this.

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

#3 Jenny M

Jenny M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hi Mike,

Thank you!  I had used slicers, but my boss liked yours better.  In the ensuing discussion, it turned out that what she really wanted was hyperlinks.  Click on the source id and go to a worksheet with all the quotes from that source.  I think we've reached the goal, in a roundabout way.

Thank you for all the help.  The support on this forum really makes my job easier!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users