• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Frogleaper

Frogleaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:01 PM

I  have a problem with my line chart..whenever I enter the number data for each month - the line chart would show up - but there is this october month that when I enter the number data - the line chart does not show ...help asap

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:10 PM

Hi Frogleaper,

From your description, it sounds most likely that your October numbers are being stored as text instead of as numbers. Numbers stored as text look exactly the same as 'real' numbers, but they often aren't recognized correctly by formulas and charts.

Excel usually displays a green triangle icon next to numbers stored as text and displays a smart tag when you click the cell. You can click this smart tag to convert the text into a 'real' number:

convertnumber.png

This can also be done using Excel's error checking tools, as shown in the video tutorial: Expert Skills Lesson 4-12 Manually check a worksheet for errors.

Alternatively, you can set the appropriate cells to the Number or General type and then re-enter the numbers. Note that you must retype the numbers after changing the type, they won't change automatically.

You can see more about changing the number formats of cells in the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 4-3 Format numbers using built-in number formats.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help. It would be very helpful if you attached an example of the problem; you can find instructions on attaching files here.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users