• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SuSulli

SuSulli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:01 AM

I recently got Office 365 Personal, and got excited about all the new functionality in Excel 2016.  However, my version does not include Power Pivot but does have Power Query.  My question is, can I still download and transform data from an outside source (in my case, transactions in my bank and brokerage accounts) and create user-friendly and interactive visuals for budgeting purposes without Power Pivot?  Thanks.

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 845 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hi SuSulli,

Many of the features of Power Pivot have now been rolled into Excel itself, including OLAP pivot tables, Get & Transform and 3D Maps. You should be able to use the new Get & Transform feature to download data from an outside source - it's now available from the Data > Get & Transform section on the Ribbon.

We cover all of these features in great depth in our Excel 2016 Expert Skills course, which is currently only available in printed book and e-book formats. You can purchase this course from our books page.

I hope this is the solution you were looking for, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help with this.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

Hi SuSulli

As Jonathan has advised, Microsoft have re-named and improved some of their earlier OLAP ("Power") products and made them available in every Excel 2016 Windows version.  (OLAP features are not available in the Apple Mac versions of Excel or Excel Online).

• The core features of Power Pivot have been renamed the Data Model and are available in all Excel 2016 Windows versions.  The Power Pivot add-in is still available, but only for the Pro Plus version of Excel 2016.  There are some useful extra features available in the Power Pivot add-in that are not built in to the standard Windows version of Excel 2016. The Data Model was first introduced in Excel 2010 but it was necessary to install an add-in called Power Pivot in order to work with it. Excel 2013 added many of the Power Pivot add-in’s features to standard Excel (meaning that no add-in now needs to be installed to use the data model).  The data model has been further improved and refined in the standard version of Excel 2016.  The data modelling skills that you will learn in the Expert Skills course will be equally relevant if you later create models using the Power Pivot add-in. The Power Pivot features provided for Excel 2013/2016 are not compatible with pre-2013 versions of Excel (this includes Excel 2010 users with the Power Pivot add-in installed).  
  • The product previously known as Power Query has now been renamed to Get & Transform and was added to Excel in the Excel 2016 Windows release.  
  • The product previously known as Power Maps has also been renamed to 3D Maps and was added to Excel in the Excel 2016 Windows release. 

Power Query, 3D Maps and the Data Model all leverage upon a technology called OLAP and, while they integrate nicely with Excel, they could reasonably be described as external utilities rather than an integral part of Excel.  For this reason we separated the OLAP related features into a new section (the last three sessions in the Learn Excel 2016 Expert Skills with The Smart Method book).  Note that these sessions are not included in Apple Mac version of the book (because there are no OLAP features available in the Mac Excel version).

I hope that the above information gives you all that you need to begin exploring Microsoft's OLAP tools.

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

#4 SuSulli

SuSulli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

Thank you Jonathan and Mike for answering my question.  I just received my Instruction Manual for the 2016 version in the mail over the weekend.  Looks like I need to work my way through the instructions before I can understand how to use it in the version I have (no Power Pivot tab and no Data Model button).  Thanks for all the help! 

#5 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hi SuSulli

If you work through sessions 9-11 of your Learn 2016 Expert Skills with The Smart Method book you will completely understand how to access and use all of the OLAP features now available in Excel 2016 for Windows.

The Excel OLAP-related tools are of necessity more complex than other Excel features.  This is because, in order to use the new Excel OLAP-related tools, you will first need to acquire a substantial amount of relational database theory.  All of this theory is gradually introduced in the three OLAP-related sessions.

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users