3 replies to this topic

#1 Raja R

Raja R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

I would like to have a drop down which has options with check boxes in it, where i can make multiple selections and perform actions.

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks & Regards

Raja

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

Hi Raja,

Drop-down menus do not offer the ability to select multiple items, but you can insert checkboxes as shown in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 9-5 Add a check box control to a worksheet form.

It is also possible to configure a ListBox control to enable multiple selections to be made, but this will not work in conjunction with the Cell Link feature, so you will not be able to extract the chosen items into a formula.

You can see how to use cell link in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 9-3 Set form control cell links.

To configure a ListBox to allow multiple selections:

1. Right click on the ListBox and click Format Control from the shortcut menu.
  2. Click the Control tab, if it isn't already selected.
  3. Click Multi in the Selection type group.
  4. Click the OK button.

I hope one of these options offers the solution you are looking for, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help with this.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 Raja R

Raja R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I tried applying this using a listbox and gave the input range and the cell link. 

1. i couldnt use the <indirect> formula for giving the input range

2. I gave a range of cells as input range and i am able to select multiple values, but that is always giving 0 as output

Can you please help on this?

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hi Raja,

As I said above, the cell link feature will not work with a multi-select listbox, so you will not be able to extract the chosen items into a formula.

I have also looked into using the INDIRECT function as an input range. It isn't possible to do this by entering an INDIRECT function directly into the Input range property, but you can work around this by defining a range name that uses the INDIRECT function.

You can see how to create a range name in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 4-2 Manually create single cell range names and named constants.

You can also see an explanation of the INDIRECT function in the video tutorial: Expert Skills Lesson 4-5 Use intersection range names and the INDIRECT function.

I have attached an example workbook showing this in practice:

Attached File  IndirectSource.xlsx   11.48KB   11 downloads

IndirectSource.png

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users