1 reply to this topic

#1 qdja

qdja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

Hello,

I am currently working as an assistant to a real estate agent and up until now I have been able to create every thing she has asked me to do in excel except this one thing that has me stumped.

I am trying to create a table that contains a drop down list in the first column, based on the selection that is chosen in the drop down list there will be 2 columns in that table that will auto populate information in the cells. I have attached what I created so far, so for example once I select a particular Room/Area, the description of that room and price will appear.

Thank you

Attached Files

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hi qdja,

I have taken a look at your example but I can't figure out where the drop-down menu is intended to be or which data it is intended to return. It doesn't look like the price and description data has been included in your example?

It may be that all you need is a simple filter. You can see how to use these in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 1-3 Apply a simple filter to a range.

If this isn't the solution, you may wish to use a list validation instead. These are explained in the video tutorial: Expert Skills Lesson 2-11 Add a table-based dynamic list validation.

There's also the possibility of using a combo box form control. This isn't often used, but you can see how to use it in: Expert Skills Lesson 9-2 Add a combo box control to a worksheet form.

From your description, it sounds like you will need to use a VLOOKUP function to search for the room that matches your selection and return the description and price. You can see how to do this in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 3-22 Use a VLOOKUP function for an exact lookup.

I hope this helps, but if you can attach an example that includes some example data I should be able to provide an example solution for you, and please feel free to reply if you have any other questions.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users