1 reply to this topic

#1 JPK1066

JPK1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

I remember using the custom list feature in the advanced options and don't see it there. In lesson 1-16 they explain how to create but I wanted to know if I can copy and paste a list in the custom list and is there a limit to the number in the list as well as the number of characters in each item?

TY

JPK1066

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 845 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hi JPK,

Custom lists are limited to a total of 256 characters across all items in the list. This means that the number of characters in each list item affects how many items you can include in the list.

For example, if your list items were each 50 characters long you would only be able to have a maximum of 5 items. If your items were 10 characters long you could have 25.

You'll be happy to know, however, that you can bypass this limitation by placing your list items in cells on a worksheet. You can then use the Import option to specify the cells that contain the list items, allowing you to create a custom list that isn't constrained by the 256 character limit and is only limited by the size restrictions of an Excel workbook (over 1,000,000 rows).

You can see more about custom lists in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 1-16 Sort a range or table by custom list.

For more about the size restrictions of the Excel workbook format, see the video tutorial: Essential Skills Lesson 1-5 Download the sample files and open or navigate a workbook.

I hope this is the answer that you were looking for, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help with this.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users