#1 ajbozdar

ajbozdar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndependent

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hello All,

I am getting following error while running a What-if analysis. Could someone please tell me what does the error mean, and how to avoid it?

Thank you.

Attached Images

• What-if-Error.JPG

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

Hi ajbozdar,

The error message suggests that you have selected an inconsistent area in some way. This error happens most often when trying to copy and paste non-contiguous selections that are different shapes. You can see an example of a similar error in this thread.

I am not quite sure which what-if analysis method you were trying to run - the term could refer to data tables, scenarios, goal seek or solver, all of which could cause different issues.

All of these skills are covered in session 7 of our Expert Skills course: What If Analysis and Security.

My best guess is that you have selected an unusual range of cells and this is what is causing the error. Copying the relevant cells into a single contiguous range would probably solve the problem if this is the case.

To provide more guidance I would need to know more about exactly what you are trying to do, and ideally see an example workbook. You can see how to attach workbooks here.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users