Excel 2016 (January 2018 release)
Released: January 2018, Version 1708
About this release
This is the first semi-annual Excel release and includes features originally made available in monthly updates 1706 and 1707. From this point onward, a new semi-annual version of Excel will be released in January and July each year. This version will be fully documented in the January 2018 edition of our books/e-books.
The next semi-annual release will be on July 10th 2018 and will include all updates previously published to the monthly update channel in versions: 1709, 1710, 1711, 1712, 1801 and 1802.
- “Add Column from Examples” enhancements: Supports more Date/Time, Math, and Index Column transformations.
- Performance improvements: Excel opens complex workbooks with multiple sheets faster, so you can crunch formulas with large ranges, filter lots of rows, or copy and paste quicker.
- Collaborative editing: Work with others at the same time in your workbook.
- Insert online pictures: New landing page for selecting images and attribution information is automatically inserted with the image.
- Azure Data Lake Store connector: Users can now import data from Azure Data Lake Store.
- "Add column from Examples" enhancements: Supports suggestions, more Date/Time operations, and additional transformations.
- Data tab: Ribbon buttons on the Data tab have been rearranged into two new groups: Get & Transform Data and Queries & Connections.
- Share queries: Export any query definition into an Office Database Connection (ODC) file, and then share it across workbooks or with others.
- Load data: Load data from a query directly into PivotTables or PivotCharts without having to save the data into the Data Model.
- Shared file activity: Choose the Activity button in the upper right corner of the file to see when a file shared in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint was shared, edited, renamed, or restored.
- Safe links: When a user clicks on a link, Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) inspects the link to see if it’s malicious. If the link is deemed malicious, the user is redirected to a warning page instead of the original target URL.
- Enhanced data import functionality: Easily import and shape data from various sources. Manage workbook queries and connections with the Queries & Connection side pane, and share queries with others via ODC files.
- Changes in shared files: View who has made changes in shared workbooks, and restore earlier versions.
- Lasso Select with a pen button: Use supported digital pen buttons to Lasso Select ink without visiting the ribbon.