• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

I have an Excel (2013) table and it won’t allow me to delete rows.  I can delete columns but not rows.  I wonder why?

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 886 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

Hi Michael,

The most likely explanation is that you actually have two tables rather than one. Excel won't allow you to delete a row if it spans more than one table.

If two tables are directly next to each other it might look like there's only one table, so this might be the problem even if you think you only have a single table.

I have attached an example workbook with two tables that will allow you to test this:

Attached File  DeleteRows.xlsx   9.8KB   45 downloads

DeleteRows.png

If you open the attached workbook you'll find that you can delete rows 2, 3, 9 and 10, but can't delete rows 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

The simple solution is to convert all of your tables into ordinary ranges, delete the rows as necessary and then convert them back into a single table.

You can see how to convert a table into a range in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 1-12 Format a table using table styles and convert a table into a range.

You can see how to convert a range back into a table in the video tutorial: Expert Skills Lesson 1-11 Convert a range into a table and add a total row.

I hope this is the solution to your problem, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help with this. If you attach a copy of the workbook in question I will be able to solve the problem more easily. You can see instructions for how to attach files here.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Jonathan.  Sorry for delay in replying but been off line for a while.  I did convert the table to a range in order to delete the row but I was wondering why I couldn’t do it otherwise.  And you’re right I did have two tables.  Good to know this in future.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users