• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ian L

Ian L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

Hi guys I'm new here hoping that someone can put me out of my misery!

I'm currently studying Excel 2013 Expert Skills book, Lesson 5-6: 'Apply a simple filter and sort to a pivot table'.

I use two computers at work, both with exactly the same installation of Excel.  However, when trying to use the 'Row Labels' (and also 'column labels') filters within the pivot table I get two different results depending on which computer I am using (screenshots attached of the 'Transactions-4' sample file).

While one computer gives me check boxes to filter on, the other computer does not and the only way I have found to filter data on this computer is to use splicers, as the drop-down filter functionality rather bizarrely is not there.  I am at a complete loss as to why this is.  Maybe I have checked/unchecked a setting within Excel that I am not aware of?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ian L

Attached Images

• Screenshot 1 (no check boxes).jpg
  • Screenshot 2 (with the desired check boxes).jpg

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Hi Ian,

I've looked into this and it seems to be a bug that many people experienced after installing a certain Office update (KB2827238).

I would suggest first trying to update to the latest version, as a fix may have been added to more recent updates. You can see how to do this in: Basic Skills Lesson 1-2 Check whether your Excel version is up to date.

If you're fully updated and still experiencing problems, the official advice from Microsoft is to reinstall Office. You can find more information on Microsoft's site here.

I hope you're able to resolve the problem, but please feel free to reply if there's anything more I can do.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 Ian L

Ian L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Thanks Jonathan. Uninstalled the update in the end, now works a treat!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users