#1 JPK1066

JPK1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationHilton Head SC

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

I would like to conditionally format this column of numbers where each cell would take on a color if the preceding cell was less than .45

When I tried to do this it only turned all the values into the same number, no color. 

Shouldn't I be able to format next cells in a series with Conditional Formatting.

This question seems very close to the one that you answered a while back about number formatting in a series on the other worksheet in this book.

JPK1066

Attached Files

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

Hi JPK,

Yes, you can do this by using a formula-driven conditional format. In your example, the formula will be =E4<0.45, and the conditional formatting rule should be applied to cells E5:E24.

Conditional formats 'fill down' in the same way as formulas, so cell E5 will use the formula =E4<0.45, but cell E6 will use =E5<0.45, cell E7 will use =E6<0.45, and so on.

I have attached a copy of your example with the conditional formats applied:

Attached File  NumberListFormula & Conditional Formatting.xlsx   13.5KB   62 downloads

NumberListFormula.png

You can see a lot more about conditional formatting, including formula-driven conditional formats, in: Essential Skills Session 4: Making Your Worksheets Look Professional.

I hope this is the answer you were looking for, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help with this.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users