• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Loomis

Mike Loomis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:01 AM

I tried to run a V-Lookup. I'm sure my syntax was correct. However, I got the N/A error. The column that contains the lookup value has cells with little green flags in the upper left corner. I think that is causing my V-Lookup to fail. I tried converting the flagged cells to numbers, but nothing changed. How can I resolve this?

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

Hi Mike,

When you say 'green flag', I assume you are talking about the small green triangle that appears in the top-right corner of the cells and not the flag icons that can be applied using Conditional Formatting.

The green flag can mean many different things - it's Excel's way of saying that it thinks there may be a problem with the contents of a cell. You can find out what the problem is by clicking on the cell and then clicking on the 'smart tag' that appears next to it.

You can see this in action in Essential Skills Session 2: Doing Useful Work with Excel (lesson 2-4).

It's hard to tell what it means in this specific case, but the most common cause is that the contents of the cell is formatted in an unusual way. This could account for your VLOOKUP problems, since VLOOKUP will use the 'real' value of the cell, even if it is formatted to appear differently.

You can see more about VLOOKUP in Expert Skills Session 3: Advanced Functions.

I hope this is helpful, but if you continue to have problems please attach an example of the problem and I will try to offer further advice. You can see instructions on attaching files by clicking here.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users