#1 ClamChowder

ClamChowder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

Attached File  nestedifor.xlsx   22.15KB   33 downloads

Hi All

First time I'm posting for the first time.

Please see attached. I want to be able to place any 1 of 4 possibilities into the cell highlighted pink.

Thanks

#2 ClamChowder

ClamChowder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

Hello

figured it out

=IF(A2="Yes-Type 1","Yes-Type 1", IF(A2="Yes-Type 2", "Yes-Type 2", IF(A2="Yes-Type 3", "Yes-Type 3", IF(A2="Yes-Type 4", "Yes-Type 4", ""))))

no need for a reply now. thanks all

#3 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

Hi ClamChowder,

I'm glad that you were able to find a solution. You might be interested to know that you could also have done this using the SWITCH function, which would make a shorter formula that is a little easier to understand. Here's how the SWITCH version looks: =SWITCH(A2,"Yes-Type 1","Yes-Type 1","Yes-Type 2","Yes-Type 2","Yes-Type 3","Yes-Type 3","Yes-Type 4","Yes-Type 4")

As you can see, it achieves the same result without needing to use multiple nested IF functions.

You can see a complete explanation of SWITCH in: Expert Skills Session 3: Advanced Functions (Lesson 3-23: Use the SWITCH function).

You can also find much more about the IF and IFS functions in the same session.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#4 ClamChowder

ClamChowder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the suggestion..I tried it ..it doesnt work unfortunately..

#5 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hi ClamChowder,

I forgot to mention that the SWITCH function is a new function that has been added to Excel 365 via updates. If you're not using Excel 365 you won't be able to use it.

You can see more about the updates that have been added in Excel 365 in our Office 365 Updates subforum.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users