1 reply to this topic

#1 archie

archie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hello everone,

I want to create a chart that shows the average and standard deviation.  I have made a chart of my sales figures, but I don't know what to do next.  Can you help?

avgchart1.png

Thanks.

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

The easiest way to do this is to use Excel's 'trendlines' feature.

To add a two-period moving average trendline to the chart, click it and then click Chart Tools > Analysis > Trendline > Two Period Moving Average.

For more detailed instructions on this, including how to customise the number of moving average periods, see Essential Skills Lesson 5-25: Add a trend line.

For Standard Deviation, it's likely that you'll want to use 'error bars' instead of trendlines.  Error bars work in almost exactly the same way as trendlines. To add standard deviation error bars, click Chart Tools > Analysis > Error Bars > Error Bars with Standard Deviation.

If these options aren't what you're looking for, you may want to calculate the average and standard deviation figures within your data, by using the AVERAGE and STDEV functions.

For more on the AVERAGE function, see Essential Skills Lesson 2-11: Use AutoSum to quickly calculate averages.

For more advanced functions, see Expert Skills Session Three: Advanced functions and formulas.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users