Photo

Excel chart appears blank - not recognizing values?

charts blank

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 archie

archie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi ExcelCentral,

I'm trying to create a chart, but it doesn't seem to be recognizing my values.  Instead, the chart just displays blank.

Here is how my spreadsheet looks:

badchart1.png

It seems like it should be simple but the chart comes up blank no matter what I try.  I also don't know why it says "September" instead of showing each month. Can you help?

I have also attached the spreadsheet if that helps:

Attached File  MonthChart.xlsx   12.56KB   275 downloads

Thanks a lot.

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

The problem here is that your values are formatted as Text instead of being formatted as numbers.  The most likely cause of this is that you copied this data from another spreadsheet where the numbers were also formatted as Text.

If you change the format of the cells from Text to Number (or even just to General), the chart should recognize the numbers as numeric values and work correctly.

For more on changing the formats of cells, take a look at Essential Skills Lesson 4-3: Format numbers using built-in number formats.

For the basics of creating charts, see Essential Skills Lesson 5-2: Create a simple chart with two clicks.

I have attached an example spreadsheet with a fixed version of your data:

Attached File  MonthChart.xlsx   13.13KB   287 downloads

badchart2.png

Feel free to reply if you continue to have problems doing this.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users