Photo

Remove gaps between bars in an Excel chart?

charts gap width

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Katrina

Katrina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

I know how to create a bar chart in Excel but I want to remove the spaces from between the bars.

Can you tell me how to do this?

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

To do this, first create your chart, then right-click on one of the bars and click Format Data Series:

gaps1.png

You should then see a setting called Gap Width.  If you set this to zero, the gaps will disappear.

gaps2.png

Note that this may appear differently depending on the version of Excel that you are using, but the setting should still be available and should still work correctly.

gaps3.png

For more information about formatting the different parts of charts, see Essential Skills Lesson 5-7 Manually format a chart element.

If you need any more assistance, feel free to reply.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users