Photo

I do not want to show data in chart that is "0" (zero)

charts hidden and empty cells

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dave.l

dave.l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

When I create a chart from data, I do not want anything with a "0" (zero) value to be graphed.  How can I get the chart not to show it?

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi Dave,

The easiest way to do this is to first apply a filter to your data that will exclude all of the zero values and then create a chart based on your filtered data.

Filters are covered in Expert Skills Lesson 1-3: Apply a simple filter to a range.

This is the easiest way to hide zero values from a chart.

If the cells are actually blank (rather than containing a zero), you can do this in a more graceful way.

You can change how charts handle blank values more gracefully by selecting the chart and clicking Chart Tools > Design > Select Data > Hidden and Empty Cells.

hiddenandempty.png

This dialog allows you to choose whether blank cells will be shown as gaps, zeroes, or ignored completely.

For a more complete walkthrough of this, see Essential Skills Lesson 5-17: Deal with empty data points.

Note that this will only work if the cells are blank. Cells containing a zero value will not be ignored.

I hope this information is useful.  If you need any more help with this, please feel free to reply to this post.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users