• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 richard

richard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

i find your excel course excellent,but, i am stuck on one move. I cannot add dates to the rows of annual figures which I am working on. All I get is the row number. I have struggled with this. please advise.

Richard

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure that I understand the problem.  Are you just struggling to enter dates into Excel?  Excel will recognize dates in most common formats.  For example 01/01/14, 01 Jan 2014, etc.

For a deeper look into how Excel handles dates, see the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 3-7: Understand Excel date serial numbers and custom date formats.

If your problem is not with entering dates, but with changing their appearance, take a look at the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 4-1: Format dates.

Please feel free to reply if you need any further assistance.

If you'd like me to take a look at your workbook, you can attach it to a post by clicking the More Reply Options button at the bottom of the screen.  You can then select a file to attach and click Attach This File.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 richard

richard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Jonathon

Kind of you to reply. My problem is that although I have followed the guides rigorously I need to show only the years, not date and month. I want among other things, to record annual expenditure on most utilities. I cannot get the year on the chart, jet the row number. The year is a 4 figure entry. Does this clarify my problem. I use MS 8-1 and Excel 2007.

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi Richard,

I see the problem now.  When Excel sees your years, it recognizes them as numbers instead of text and tries to include them in the chart instead of using them as labels:

badchart3.png

You can rectify this by creating your chart, then right-clicking it and clicking Select Data from the shortcut menu, then setting the Series and Axis Labels settings appropriately.

For an in-depth look at how this is done, see the PDF and video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 5-14: Change source data using the Select Data Source dialog tools.

The correct settings will look something like this:

badchart4.png

If you have trouble doing this, or don't want to go to the bother of changing the settings every time you create a chart, you can work around this problem by entering the dates as text instead of numbers.  Excel will then automatically use them as labels when you create a chart.

Entering numbers as text is covered in the PDF and video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 2-1: Enter text and numbers into a worksheet.

I have attached my example spreadsheet with the years formatted as text.

Attached File  expenditurebyyear.xlsx   13.07KB   286 downloads

expenditurebyyear.png

If you need any more assistance, please feel free to reply.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users