#1 Rathin

Rathin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationWest Bengal, India

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

Dear Sir,

I want to learn the coding to use VBA. Kindly let me know if you have any Video course for the VBA. I want to register myself to learn VBA. 

Regards

Rathin Das

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:00 AM

Dear Rathin

If you watch lesson:Lesson 9-10: Understand macros and VBA (and particularly pay attention to the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" sidebar in the book or e-book), you'll learn a little more about the VBA programming language and its relationship to Excel.

You'll also read my opinion that Excel 2016 now has so many advanced features that it is difficult to find any requirement that isn't already addressed by a built-in Excel feature (if you truly understand how to use all of Excel's advanced features).

Having said this, VBA is an all-powerful programming language that allows you to add features to Excel that do not exist in the product when you have a special requirement for such a feature.

I do have a Visual Basic programming course that I deliver in a classroom setting, but I would stand by the advice that, for almost any real-world business requirement, very few Excel users will ever find a need to add VBA programming code to Excel.

It may be better to pose the problem that you think VBA will solve.  In almost all cases you are either using the wrong tool for the job, or there will be a built-in advanced Excel feature that will solve the problem.

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

#3 Brix

Brix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

Hi Mike,

I like Rathin, would be interested in taking your VBA course if it is available, now that it is 2016! My project would consist of creating an estimating spreadsheet ! Don't know if VBA would actually

be a requirement in order to create one,(I'm assuming not), but it would be something that I definitely would be interested in! Assuming of course that it isn't beyond my realm of understanding! Your courses are the way to go for learning this material!! Thanks so much for a well designed learning experience!!

Steve M.

#4 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:27 AM

Dear Steve

My advice to you would be the same as my advice to Rathin.

If you use Excel for its intended purpose (as an analysis tool) there are very few scenarios where you could usefully make use of VBA.  

Remember that VBA isn't anything to do with Excel but is a powerful programming language (originally VB6) that is able (in a similar way to C# and Visual Basic) to automate and extend the Excel, Word, PowerPoint (and many other) object models.

Most people that assume that they need VBA to extend Excel just haven't sufficiently mastered Excel's built-in advanced functionality or are trying to mis-use Excel for a purpose it wasn't intended for (and that there are much better solutions for).  We've seen users trying to turn Excel into a RDBMS (instead of using Access or SQL Server) and we've seen them trying to use Excel as a project management solution (when MS Project is a superb and extremely powerful project management tool).  I always remember the PowerPoint course I delivered for a large stockbroker where they were using PowerPoint as a word processor on the instructions of the CEO as that was all he knew how to use.

That's the main reason I haven't published my VBA course.  I've delivered this course to analysts from the banking, insurance, automotive... and many other business sectors and in every case they didn't need VBA skills to solve their business problems (just a thorough understanding of Excel's built-in advanced features).

Work through Essential and Expert skills, understand and absorb all of the sessions and lessons.  If you can't then create your estimating workbook that's what these forums are for. Anything you need to do (but can't), you can just pose a question in the forums and we'll show you how (without VBA).  And we'll also point you to the right technology to solve the problem if Excel is not the right tool for the business problem.

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

#5 Brix

Brix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

Dear Mike,

Thanks so very much for your advice and input. I shall follow it!!

Steve Miles

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users