• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Terpatz

Terpatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Not sure I understand the difference regarding creating a chart where you need to select all the data including the labels and and charting a range where you can click anywhere within the data.  Could somebody please enlighten me?

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi Terpatz,

The distinction lies in having either one cell selected or having several cells selected.  If you have only one cell selected when you create a chart, Excel will automatically chart the entire range.

However, if you select the values before creating the chart Excel will only chart the values that you have selected, meaning that it can miss the labels if you don't select them.

If this still isn't clear, it might help to watch the video version of the following lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 5-2 Create a simple chart with two clicks.

If you're still having trouble after watching the video, please feel free to reply to this post and I will try to help more.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 Terpatz

Terpatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Thanks Jonathan, think I am beginning to understand better now.  The lesson seemed contradictory at first but  a few experiments with some charts helped although I must admit there will always be something that won't make sense for a while.  Will let you know if I am still stuck with anything, thank you for your help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chart, data label

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users