Photo

I need to group data, but Excel won't allow me to do it.

Grouping Dates Ungroupable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyMike

MikeyMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hi,

I am trying to group a series of individual dates in a pivot table to arrange a month-centric view of data. I read the lesson in the book on grouping by date( Lesson 5-18), but when I highlight a date and righ-click to group it, I get a box on the screen that indicates that the data I selected can't be grouped. Why can't it be grouped, and more importantly, how can I make it so that I can group it? Thanks.

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 843 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:48 PM

Hi Mike,

The most likely explanation is that there are some entries in your date data that are blank or are invalid dates.  You cannot apply date grouping to a range that has blank entries or contains any dates that are not valid (the 29th of February in non-leap years being a common example).

If you fix your data so that there are no blank or invalid dates, the error should disappear.

For more about grouping pivot tables by dates, see Expert Skills Lesson 5-20: Group by Date.

Grouping pivot tables by text is a similar feature that allows pivot tables to be grouped by text values.  For more information about grouping pivot tables by text, see Expert Skills Lesson 5-19: Group by Text.

If you've fixed your dates and you're still getting the same error, please feel free to reply and I'll do my best to offer further assistance.  If you attach a copy of your workbook, I should be able to narrow down exactly which data is causing the issue.  For instructions on attaching files, see this thread.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 MikeyMike

MikeyMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

I've resolved this. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users