• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elpatico

Elpatico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

I have a Table of data and have created a pivot table from it, from which I used slicers to filter the pivot table. For some reason the Field list has now disappeared even though it is highlighted on the menu bar. I cannot create a new pivot table report as I can't arrange data into fields. I'm using Excel 2010. Please can anyone help?

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hi Elpatico,

You should be able to bring the Field List back by clicking: PivotTable Tools > Analyze > Show > Field List.

Accessing the Field List is covered in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 5-3 Understand pivot table rows and columns.

If you're not seeing it when you do this, it's likely that you have accidentally moved the task pane away from its default location - it will still be appearing, but it may not be where you expect it to be!  This is especially likely if you have two monitors - it's entirely possible for the task pane to appear on your other screen if it has been moved there.

Once you find the task pane, you should be able to move it back into its normal position by simply clicking and dragging it to the right-hand side of the Excel window. It will then automatically 'dock' and snap into place where it belongs.

If you're still unable to find the window, it's possible that it's 'off-screen' somewhere, if you have two monitors.  In this case, one solution might be to unplug your second monitor, which should force it to appear.

If you're completely unable to get the task pane back, you may need to do a Repair install of Excel in order to reset it back to its default settings - unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to completely reset Excel within the program itself.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to reply if I can be of any further assistance.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 Elpatico

Elpatico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

Thank you for your reply admin. Unfortunately I still can't see the field list. The field list Icon on the show menu is selected and I haven't used two monitors. I think Excel has been corrupted, and I'm not sure how to do a repair install. Could you please help me with this?

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hi Elpatico,

Installing and repairing Office is a little outside the scope of what we usually support, but Microsoft provide a help file with instructions on repairing each version of Excel.  You can find it by clicking here.

I hope this helps, and you're able to access the Field List after repairing.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#5 Elpatico

Elpatico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

Thank you for your reply admin. I tried the repair feature, but unfortunately that didn't work either. So I did a bit of searching on the internet and eventually found what the problem was. For some reason a couple of files had found their way into my XLSTART folder (no idea how!), which prevented the field list from appearing (no idea why!). I just removed the files from the folder and the field list appears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users