Excel 2010 or 2013

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_David_*

Guest_David_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hi Mike

I use excel 2010 at work and have excel 2013 on my home machine.

When I learn excel I will most like be at home so which course do you recommend I study?  I need to be able to transfer my skills to the workplace.

I'm not a basic user but so I will only be using the expert skills.  Has much changed in the 2013 version of excel?

Kind regards

David

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

Dear David

You should learn Excel 2013 if this is the version you will be using to follow-through with the lessons.

The first reason is that you would find it very tedious to work-around the changes in the user interface between Excel 2010 and Excel 2013 in the lessons.  You won't, however, find any difficulties in applying your Excel 2013 skills using the older 2010 (or even 2007) versions.  

The second reason is that Excel 2013 is vastly improved with many new features that you will want to use as soon as your office upgrades to 2013.  You will (of course) miss the new Excel 2013 features and improved ease-of-use when using one of the older versions but you'll just have to live without them when you are at work for the moment!

2013 has some radical new features:  

• Excel 2013 has been designed to work with Cloud Computing far more easily than with older versions (for more details see Essential Skills Session 8: Cloud Computing).  Cloud computing provides a brand new way to share workbooks with any user (even users with Android or iPad pad devices, Apple PC users and users that don't have any version of Excel installed).  Gone are the days when you had to worry whether the recipient of an Excel attachment had the right version of Excel to be able to even open it!
  • Excel 2013 has a quite amazing and hugely useful new feature called Flash Fill that you can use to quickly complete tasks that were often very complex in Excel 2010 (see an overview of this in Essential Skills Lesson 2-21: Use Flash Fill to solve common problems).  Most Excel 2013 users haven't even noticed this feature yet as it isn't at all obvious how it works until you've worked through the four Flash Fill lessons.  But once you learn how to use it you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!
  • The way you create charts has also been completely re-designed in Excel 2013 and it is now extremely easy to create and customize charts (for more details see Essential Skills Session 5: Charts and Graphics).  Charting used to be very quirky in earlier Excel versions but now it is completely logical and intuitive.
  • For expert users working with relational data (but this only be of interest to very advanced Excel users), Excel 2013 also brings data modelling, OLAP and Business Intelligence into the mainstream for the first time by incorporating many features from Microsoft's Power Pivot OLAP product into the standard version of Excel.  Watch Session 6: The Data Model, OLAP MDX and BI to see Excel's ability to create OLAP Pivot tables that can summarize fields from multiple tables. 

Of course there are many more detail improvements as well throughout Excel 2013 but the above four are the big ones for me.  Any one of them would make the upgrade worthwhile but all four together make the upgrade to 2013 compelling.

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

#3 Guest_Becky Mack_*

Guest_Becky Mack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

I am a true beginner and have excel 2010 at work but 2013 at home. Which version would be best for someone like me.

Becky Mack

#4 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:47 PM

Dear Becky

You should learn the version that is running on the machine upon which you intend to learn.  So if you intend to learn at work use the 2010 course, and if you intend to learn at home use the 2013 course.

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users