1 reply to this topic

#1 Yoges Balasingam

Yoges Balasingam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Hi

I created a  work sheet with drop down using data validation.  Copied it through out the sheet.  When I opened it , the drop down list was not there.  When I tried to enter information it didn't let me enter a value.  Please help.

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi Yoges,

When you say "it didn't let me enter a value", what do you mean?  Are you unable to enter values anywhere in the worksheet?

If you're unable to edit the worksheet, it seems likely that it has been protected, and this is the reason you're not able to change it.  For instructions on how to unprotect a worksheet, see the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 7-11 Restrict the cells users are allowed to change.

If the worksheet isn't protected and you simply can't edit the cells that you have applied validation to, it sounds like your validation rules have gone wrong somehow.  You can check the validations that are in place by clicking: Data > Data Tools > Data Validation.

For more on how to apply and edit validation rules, see the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 2-7 Validate numerical data.

For a walkthrough of applying 'drop down' list validation, see the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 2-11 Add a table-based dynamic list validation.

I hope this helps and you're able to solve the problem, but if not please feel free to attach a copy of the workbook and I will take a look at it.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users