Mixed Cell References (Excel 2013 Essential Skills pg161)

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Simone_*

Guest_Simone_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:30 AM

Hello everybody!

On page 161 (Q5) is written: =D6*$E$3

Shouldn't it be =D6*E$3 ? I mean, someone could ask: Why do I need to make "E" Absolute when "E" won't change anyway? The result is the same, but isn't it "formally" wrong?

Thank you, Simone

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

Hi Simone

The formula is presented as the absolute reference $E$3 (rather than the mixed cell reference E$3) to maintain consistency with the statement made in the sidebar on Page 142 of your book, and also within the narration of the video lesson: Lesson 3-13: Understand Mixed Cell References:

"You won't need to use mixed cell references anywhere else in the Essential Skills course".

Mixed references have been covered in Lesson 3-13: Understand Mixed Cell References with the advice that learners may skip this lesson if they find the concept of mixed cell references difficult to understand (as many learners do at first).

In the Session 3 Exercise (as you have noted) it makes no difference whether an absolute or mixed reference is used.  Personally (in my own day-to-day work) I only use mixed references where necessary (which, for me, is not very often) and use absolute references in all other cases.

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

#3 Guest_Simone_*

Guest_Simone_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for your answer.

It makes perfectly sense, and it's coherent as well. I totally understand.

I was just wondering if I was wrong or not (aka if my "solution" was wrong), but I think you answered.

Thank you very much!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users