7 replies to this topic

#1 SteveO

SteveO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

Hi,

I'm following Lesson 7-8 Embed an Excel chart object into a Word document.

When i try and move the pie chart to a new sheet the screen flickers and returns the error message #REF!

Up until this point in the lesson everything is ok, i've gone through the lesson a couple of times and get the

same result.

Do you know what i'm doing wrong?

-Steve

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hi Steve,

I suspect that you're encountering a bug that was present in early, unpatched versions of Excel 2007. This bug has been fixed through updates from Microsoft, so I would suggest making sure that Excel is fully updated.

You can see how to check exactly which version of Excel 2007 you're using in the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 1-1: Start Excel and check your program version.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please attach a copy of your workbook and I will see if I can find the issue.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 SteveO

SteveO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:55 PM

Hi Mike,

Now i'm completely lost.

I've attached the Word document but i'm not using Excel for this lesson, the workbook is blank.

-Steve

I thought i had attached the file but all i got was Internal Server Error.

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 888 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

Hi again Steve,

I've double-checked the forum settings and discovered why you couldn't attach the file - our server won't accept files that have apostrophes in the file name. If you remove the ' from the file name and try again you should be able to upload the file without any problems.  I'll also add this information to the help page about attaching files.

Mike has also suggested to me that the problem may be the result of having two different versions of Office present on the same machine - for example if you are trying to use Excel 2007 with Word 2013.

I've attached a copy of the Word document as it should be at the end of lesson 7-8. Please check whether it is working correctly for you, as it definitely points towards a problem with your installation of Office if it doesn't.

Attached File  The Worlds Best Selling Cars-3.docx   38.02KB   176 downloads

wordchart.png

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#5 SteveO

SteveO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

Bingo!

Here is the Word file.

When i try and move the chart to a new sheet i get the #REF! error message.

I'm using Office Home and Student 2007 and your example works ok in my version of Word.

Attached Files

#6 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi Steve,

I've taken a look at the wor document and I can definitely see that it hasn't worked correctly. However, when I try repeating the steps from the lesson myself the chart does seem to work properly.

I'd recommend going back through the lesson and making sure that you are following the steps exactly as they're presented, but if you're still unable to get it to work it definitely points towards a problem with your installation of Office.  If you haven't already, you should download the latest service pack for your version of Office, as this will contain many bug fixes that may resolve the problem.

#7 SteveO

SteveO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

I have done it!

In lesson 7-7 we had to embed a 2007 worksheet, i just looked for the word worksheet and clicked on it.

After going through the lesson again i saw that i have 97-2003 worksheet or 2007 workbook.

I don't have 2007 worksheet option.

When i use 2007 workbook option everything is ok.

My version has a different list of objects than yours, do you know why?

#8 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

Hi Scott,

The list is probably different because you are using the Home and Student Edition of Office, while the video lessons were made with the Professional version. This means there might be a few more options in the video lesson than you see on your own copy, but it shouldn't prevent you from completing the course at all.

Thanks a lot for letting us know how you solved the problem - it will be very helpful if anyone else has the same trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users