#1 KathyS

KathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Hello,

I need to create a chart showing an 

anomaly. Does anyone know how to do that? I need to learn how to do this for a test with the city, this Monday.

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hi Kathy,

An anomalous value is simply a value that is out of the ordinary.  Due to the nature of charts, anomalous values are usually easily spotted, but there are several ways you can format a chart to emphasize anomalous values.

I have attached an example:

Attached File  anomaly.xlsx   14.6KB   188 downloads

anomaly.png

You can see that June's value is unusually high - an anomalous value.  I have emphasized this by adding a trendline, changing the color of the appropriate column and adding an annotation.

You can see how to create a chart in the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 5-2 Create a simple chart with two clicks.

You can see how to add color and annotations in the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 5-20 Highlight specific data points with color and annotations.

You can see how to add a trendline in the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 5-25 Add a trend line.

I hope this is what you needed, but please feel free to reply if I can offer any more assistance.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 KathyS

KathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

This is fantastic. I will go over the ones you have shown. So, one of the places will let me type in the word Anomalous value?

Can you also show me how to do this with a pie chart?

#4 KathyS

KathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

Hi Jonathon, Can you give me the examples for Excel 2010 for both the bar graph and the pie chart. The test will be with Excel 2010. Thanks so much!!!

#5 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:40 PM

Hi Kathy,

Exactly the same techniques should work on a Pie chart as on a Column chart.

You can find the Excel 2010 video lessons with the skills you'll need below:

Excel 2010 Essential Skills Lesson 5-1 Create a simple chart with two clicks

Excel 2010 Essential Skills Lesson 5-14 Highlight specific data points with color and annotations

Excel 2010 Essential Skills Lesson Lesson 5-19 Add a trend line

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#6 KathyS

KathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:48 AM

Thanks so much! Will I be able to do a graph chart also with those listed above?

#7 KathyS

KathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:50 AM

Could you show me an example of what a pie chart with an Anomalous value would look like? 

#8 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

Hi Kathy,

Here's a pie chart using exactly the same data:

Attached File  anomaly2.xlsx   15.59KB   160 downloads

anomaly2.png

You can find a walkthrough of the skills needed to create this pie chart in the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 5-22 Emphasize data by manipulating pie charts.

#9 KathyS

KathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Oh my goodness. You have saved me!! I just finished all of 4 and am starting on lesson 5 now. Finally, I am on 5!!

#10 KathyS

KathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:52 AM

Hi Jonathan, you gave me the ones for 2013. Can you give the ones for 2010. That is what I will be tested with.

#11 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Sorry, here is the pie chart lesson in the Excel 2010 course:

Excel 2010 Essential Skills Lesson 5-16 Emphasize data by manipulating pie charts.

#12 KathyS

KathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

Hi Jonathon,

The bar graphs you gave me were also in 2013 also. Can you send me those for 2010? Thanks so much.

#13 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

I posted the links to the Excel 2010 chart lessons earlier in this thread (in this post).

If you mean that the Excel files are from Excel 2013, that shouldn't make a difference. The files will open in Excel 2010 without any problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users