#1 Simon E.

Simon E.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:38 PM

Hi Mike

Referring to lessons 8-6 and 8-7 of the Essential Skills tutorial:

Although I think that I have answered my own question, I had a little confusion when following the above 2 lessons in order, in that during 8-6 you show how to get a Sharing Link from within a workbook saved on to a Onedrive.  For the purpose of this particular lesson you chose to create a 'View Link' share, which can then be used as a hyperlink to embed in an email, website, etc.  All clear with that.

In 8-7, the following lesson, you then go on to show how to use the browser-based Onedrive account to share the workbook (in this case Smartphone Sales) for the purpose of demonstrating simultaneous editing by multi-users with whom you share the link.

The problem here is that (in my case anyway), having left the Share Link  originally created in 8-6 as a View Link, the option that is presented in the 'Share' window of OneDrive browser is 'Anyone with this view link', and not 'Anyone with this edit link', as shown in lesson 8-7.

Does the above make sense to you, or have I missed something within those 2 lessons that is glaringly obvious?

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

Dear Simon

I've watched the video version of lesson 8-7:

Lesson 8-7: Edit a workbook simultaneously with other users using Excel Online

While at the same time reading the printed lesson in the book.

At point 3:52 in the video (step 3) I create the Edit Link.  At 05:58 in the video I can see that (when I completed lessons 8-6 and 8-7) I was presented with the Edit Link option straight away, I'm not sure why you saw only a view link on your own machine.  Perhaps it is a browser-related issue or something that is peculiar to your computer?

I then tried doing things a different way to the video (by creating the edit link from inside Excel).

I clicked "Get a sharing link"

(Excel displayed both a view link and an Edit link as expected and I chose the Edit Link)

Having spend about 20 minutes trying hard to understand the problem, I can't identify where the cause of confusion (or the error) lies in the two lessons (having worked through both of them).  If you could direct me to the precise step in the lesson that has a problem (or the time reference in the video version) I will be better able to understand your question.  Also let me know which Windows version you are using and confirm that your Excel version is completely up-to-date.

You can check your Excel version is up-to-date by following the instructions in:

Lesson 1-2: Check whether your Excel version is up to date 

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

#3 Simon E.

Simon E.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hello Mike

Thanks for replying.

I'm going to run through both 8-6 and 8-7 to remind myself of what I encountered (I've moved on a bit since then), and I will post here if I am still confused, with details of time references where necessary.

From what I recall, my only issue was when using Excel Online through my Onedrive account I was only presented with 'Anyone with this view link' within the share window, instead of 'Anyone with this edit link', as shown in in 8-7 at 5:52, and I could not work out why.

Not urgent, but I'll reply here if I still want clarification.

Thanks and regards

Simon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users