Photo

File in Use appears instead of Resolve Conflicts (7-13)

sharing resolve conflicts lock

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Data

Data

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I open two instances of excel and October Sales and Bonus for each one, like in the video, and I get the   “file in Use” dialog.  This does not happen in the video, instead the “resolve conflict” dialog opens. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I have done this several times and have gotten the same result.  Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Leonard

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

Hi Doug,

It sounds like you haven't set the workbook to be a 'shared' workbook.  You should have done this in Lesson 7-12 Share a workbook using the merge method.

Unless a workbook is 'shared', the 'file in use' dialog will appear if it is opened by another user when it is already in use.  You can see this in Lesson 7-11 Share a workbook using the lock method.

I suggest going back through lesson 7-12 and then trying lesson 7-13 again.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 ROM1

ROM1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

Hi Mike,

i know this particular question is old but I'm experiencing a similar problem. I have a Shared file on a Onedrive that's trying to be accessesd simulataneously by three persons.  However, as each file is opened, it is being labeled as Read-Only - shared, and not allowing the changes to be saved. Each person is entering data into their own separate and different cells ranges.

Your assessment and advice!

Roderick

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hi ROM1,

The key is that the workbook itself must be set to be a "Shared" workbook. Once this is done it should be possible for multiple users to open it at the same time.

You can see how to define a shared workbook in: Expert Skills Lesson 8-13 Share a workbook on a network.

...however, this is considered to be the 'legacy' way of collaborative working. The more modern way of working collaboratively is for each of your users to open the document using Excel Online. It's then possible for multiple users to work on the document at exactly the same time, and even see each others changes in real time. Since your workbook is already saved onto OneDrive, this may be the best way to move forward.

You can see how to collaborate using Excel Online in: Essential Skills Lesson 8-7 Edit a workbook simultaneously with other users using Excel Online.

I hope this is the answer you were looking for, but please feel free to reply if you need any more help with this.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#5 ROM1

ROM1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:04 AM

Hi Johnathan,

As outlined in the video tutorial it works perectly....however, what i'm really after is doing the same thing whilst having the "Allow Users to Edit Ranges" in place. It seems the online version doesn't allow for cell protection for users but the nature of my data doesn't permit each user to see what the other is inputting.

I tried the alternate merge format by emailing a separate copy to each user and merge the final copy and that DIDNT worked either. Seems like there's no user rights access for the Online version.

i can get it to work using share/copy/merge legacy option on the destop or Office365 version but not all users have excel destop or Office 365 and I'd also want them to access the file on any device hence the Online version would have been perfect. Guess i'll have to employ the legacy destop and 365 methods only.

unless u can think of another work around.

#6 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hi ROM1,

I've looked into this and it's possible to apply protection to a workbook before uploading it to Excel Online, which does allow you to protect cells and prevent them from being edited in the online version.

This doesn't seem to extend to the Allow Users to Edit Ranges feature, but hopefully it is of some use to you.

Protecting cells is covered in: Expert Skills Lesson 7-11 Restrict the cells users are allowed to change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users