• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 power pivot

power pivot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:00 AM

Is there a way to add a "reset" button to the slicers without doing it as a macro?  I send a summary worksheet to many users that have minimal excel knowledge. Having a "reset" button for the 4 slicers seems a perfect solution to make user friendly.  However, the only way I see to do that is through a macro which is not as secure when emailing this workbook.  

Also, I am in session 9 of the Expert Skills.  Will it be teaching anything about PowerPivot?

Thanks!

mcc

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Forums Administrator

• Administrators
  • 845 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

Hi mcc,

From what you've said, it sounds like you're looking for a way to reset all Slicers in the workbook at the same time, rather than resetting each of them individually.

If they are all attached to the same table of data, you can do this by clicking on that table and then clicking: Data > Sort & Filter > Clear

This might not sound very user friendly, but you could make this more easily accessible to your users by adding it to their Quick Access Toolbar or customizing their Ribbon.

You can learn how to add commands to the Quick Access Toolbar in the video lesson: Essential Skills Lesson 1-14 Customize the Quick Access Toolbar and preview the printout.

You can see a walkthrough of customizing the Ribbon in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 9-20 Create a custom Ribbon tab.

An introduction to Slicers can also be found in the video lesson: Expert Skills Lesson 5-8 Filter a pivot table visually using slicers.

If your Slicers aren't all attached to the same table, I think a macro will be the only solution.

You can find that video lesson that explains recording macros in: Expert Skills Lesson 9-11 Record a macro with absolute references.

...and you can see how to assign a macro to a button on the workbook in: Expert Skills Lesson 9-16 Use shapes to run macros.

We don't attempt to teach PowerPivot in this course, since it is an add-in for Excel rather than part of the base product.

Howerver, Excel 2013 has merged some of the features of PowerPivot into the base product, and these are covered in depth in Expert Skills Session 6: The Data Model, OLAP, MDX and BI.

You'll also find a brief explanation of PowerPivot at the start of this session.

Jonathan is part of the professional team who answer Excel-related questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.
Jonathan also tests our courses prior to publication and has worked on all of our ten world bestselling Excel books for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Jonathan has also worked on over 850 video lessons for or video courses covering Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
As well as extensive Excel knowledge, Jonathan has worked in the IT world for over thirteen years as a programmer, database designer and analyst for some of the world's largest companies.

#3 power pivot

power pivot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

Thank you.  Yes, I want to reset all slicers at the same time.  The slicers use 4 pivot tables from the same data table.  Unfortunately, the worksheet is sent globally, so it is not feasible for me to add commands to each users Quick Access toolbar, and most of the users I do not know.  My concern was security.  I have been through all of the Essential Skills videos and 93% of the Expert Skills videos, and will finish that soon.  I also purchased both of the books.  It is very useful, and I have learned much.  One of the things mentioned was the security risk with macros.  Hence, my question on how to do the "reset" for all slicers simultaneously, without it being a macro.  

Thank you for your input.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users