Error exercise OLAP Pivot table

1 reply to this topic

#1 ExcelQueen

ExcelQueen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

I am very much enjoying running through your course, but did come across something I believe to be an error - either that or I have got the wrong end of the stick!

In Question 7 of the exercise for session 6 (using the Data Model, OLAP and MDX) you specifically ask for the Number of Units (Qty) sold by each employee, broken down by month and year.  In the screenshot of the result, and in the Answers paper, you summarise the Total Value (Total) field.

Great session, though, and very informative - it really had me dusting off my relational database skills. I'm a trainer and have been asked to get into PowerPivot, so this is a "gentle" introduction!

#2 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

Greetings ExcelQueen

I'm really pleased that you are finding my book useful.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about this.  It is indeed an error and you are the first to report it.  It will be corrected in the next revision of the Expert 2013 Expert Skills book and the correction will also find its way into the forthcoming Excel 2016 Expert Skills book.

Question 7 should read:

Use the OLAP pivot table to report the value of sales (Total) sold by each Employee during each Month and Year.

Thank you once again for reporting this.

Best Regards

Mike Smart

Mike Smart is the author of ten world best-selling Excel books. The books are available in printed form for for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016 for Windows and Excel 2016 for Apple Mac. Mike has also recorded over 850 video lessons (that you can watch online) for Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013.
Mike Smart is also part of the team that answers questions posted on the ExcelCentral.com forums.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users